The Scientific Council (SC) is a constituent body of NAFO as laid out in the NAFO Convention. The Scientific Council compiles and maintains statistics and records, and publishes information pertaining to the fisheries including environmental and ecological factors. Upon request, Scientific Council also provides advice for the NAFO Fisheries Commission and Coastal States on stocks and the conservation and management of fishery resources.
The functions of the Scientific Council may, where appropriate, be carried out in cooperation with other public or private organizations having related objectives.
Each Contracting Party is a member of the Scientific Council and appoints its own representatives.
Chair: Katherine Sosebee (USA)
Vice-Chair: Brian Healey (Canada)
Scientific Council has established four Standing Committees:
Standing Committee on Fisheries Science (STACFIS)
- Assesses the status of fish stocks
- Assesses the effects on fish stocks of fishing strategies and management
- Evaluates new methods for fish stock assessment
Standing Committee on Fisheries Environment (STACFEN)
- Develops policies and procedures for the collection, compilation and dissemination of environmental information
- Provides periodic regular reviews of environmental conditions and advises the Scientific Council on the effects of the environment on fish
- Encourages and promotes cooperation among Contracting Parties in scientific research
Standing Committee on Research Coordination (STACREC)
- Leads on issues relating to the collection, compilation and dissemination of statistical information on fisheries in the Convention Area
- Coordinates the planning and execution of international cooperative research
- Encourages and promotes cooperation in scientific research
- Reviews and evaluates data and information on advances in knowledge of biology
Standing Committee on Publications (STACPUB)
- Develops, coordinates and reviews the publications, editorial policies and procedures of the Scientific Council.
Chair of STACFIS: Joël Vigneau (EU)
Chair of STACFEN: Andrew Cogswell (Canada)
Chair of STACREC: Brian Healey (Canada)
Chair of STACPUB: Margaret Treble (Canada)