The Secretariat provides administrative services to the Organization. Its chief administrative officer is the Executive Secretary who is appointed by the General Council.
Duties of the Secretariat include:
- make all arrangements necessary for the General Council, Scientific Council, and Fisheries Commission meetings;
- prepare and transmit draft provisional and provisional agendas;
- address communications to the Depository Government;
- receive the credentials of the representatives and of observers at annual and special meetings and report thereon to the General Council as required; and
- perform such other functions as may be assigned by the General Council, its' Chair, or the Chair of a committee.