The Secretariat provides administrative services to the Organization. Its chief administrative officer is the Executive Secretary who is appointed by the Commission.
Duties of the Secretariat include:
- make all arrangements necessary for the Commission and Scientific Council meetings;
- prepare and transmit draft provisional and provisional agendas;
- address communications to the Depository Government;
- receive the credentials of the representatives and of observers at annual and special meetings and report thereon to the Commission as required; and
- perform such other functions as may be assigned by the Commission, its Chair, or the Chair of a committee.
Fred Kingston is the current Executive Secretary and has held the position since January 2014.