On 28 September 2007, after a two-year process, NAFO adopted the Amendment to the Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries (GC Doc. 07/04). This constituted the first formal step towards a reformed Convention for NAFO. The adopted text now has to be ratified by at least three-fourths of the NAFO Contracting Parties to become legally binding. The complete process is described in the current NAFO Convention, Article XXI (see below).
In 2016 it was reported at the Annual Meeting:
To-date, seven Contracting Parties have ratified the amended Convention, namely, Canada, Cuba, Denmark (in respect of Faroe Islands and Greenland), European Union, Iceland, Norway and Russian Federation. Other Contracting Parties updated the status of their ratification process. Contracting Parties were encouraged to continue their efforts to ratify the amended Convention.
Amended Convention-NAFO/GC Doc. 08/3
Convention on Future Multilateral Cooperation in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries
1. Any Contracting Party may propose amendments to this Convention to be considered and acted upon by the General Council at an annual or a special meeting. Any such proposed amendment shall be sent to the Executive Secretary at least ninety days prior to the meeting at which it is proposed to be acted upon, and the Executive Secretary shall immediately transmit the proposal to all Contracting Parties.
2. The adoption of a proposed amendment to the Convention by the General Council shall require a three-fourth majority of the votes of all Contracting Parties. The text of any proposed amendments so adopted shall be transmitted by the Depository to all Contracting Parties.
3. An amendment shall take effect for all Contracting Parties one hundred and twenty days following the date of transmittal specified in the notification by the Depository of receipt of written notification of approval by three-fourths of all Contracting Parties unless any other Contracting Party notifies the Depository that it objects to the amendment within ninety days of the date of transmittal specified in the notification by the Depository of such receipt, in which case the amendment shall not take effect for any Contracting Party. Any Contracting Party which has objected to an amendment may at any time withdraw that objection. If all objections to an amendment are withdrawn, the amendment shall take effect for all Contracting Parties one hundred and twenty days following the date of transmittal specified in the notification by the Depository of receipt of the last withdrawal.
4. Any Party which becomes a Contracting Party to the Convention after an amendment has been adopted in accordance with paragraph 2 shall be deemed to have approved the said amendment.
5. The Depository shall promptly notify all Contracting Parties of the receipt of notification of approval of amendments, the receipt of notification of objection or withdrawal of objections, and the entry into force of amendments.